Wednesday, March 7, 2012

2012 Golf Industry Show

What a week, what a show!

The 2012 "Golf Industry Show" kicked off with professional golfer Peter Jacobsen receiving our association highest award, The Old Tom Morris award.  His acceptance speech was one for the ages.  And not to be out done, our conference's keynote speaker was the irascible Irishman David Feherty.  I've posted some of his talk elsewhere in this blog.

I invested a days time taking a seminar titled "Advanced Stress Management of Cool Season Turfgrasses" to see if I could gain a better understanding and handle on the severe stresses placed on our turfs the past two seasons and to see if there was anything I could do differently or missed in trying to keep your golf course alive.

This seminar ranks right up there with the best seminars I've ever taken. BTW: As the golf course is a living organism, our answer is a no brainer, we must foster growing healthy plants.  It goes without saying that healthy plants are in a better position to withstand both heat and cold stress.  It did make me feel better when I overheard another golf course superintendent telling another that he lost more golf turf this past year than he had in his entire career!  Count me in on that group.  Misery loves company, but that's not the company I care to keep.

The show was very well attended and I was able to kick and have my questions answered if I had an issue with a particular product.
I like the smaller show floor as I'm able to navigate all aisles in a single day.  One benefit to a smaller show is to find the new and unusual products.  I didn't have to go far to find our very own Dean Rasmussen, DVM hawking his latest invention on the trade show floor.
The mad scientist didn't disappoint as he debuted his green inter seeder to the world.
When I tired of being on my feet, I would stop by the Answers on the Hour booth to listen to various presentations germane to our golf course.  Here the University of Wisconsin's Turfgrass Plant Pathologist, Dr. Jim Kerns addresses the assembly on Pythium Root Rot/Dysfunction, a problem we had on putting greens last summer.
One a personal highlight of the show was my participation in a mock employment interview of an assistant golf course superintendent looking for his first golf course superintendents job to offer constructive critisim.  Akoni Ganir hails from a private club I've never heard of (tongue firmly in cheek)before....Cypress Point!  I think it's only right to head out to the Monterrey Peninsula for a personal course tour with clubs in hand to personally evaluate his work up close first hand.

The show wasn't without the unusual as vendors pave the way to bring more women and families to the game.
I think this would look good on our first tee.  _Mk